Current Job(s): Chair of the Department of Communication, Art, and Theatre; Associate Professor of Communication Studies; Founding Director of Women's & Gender Studies
Former Job(s): I've taught at the college level since I graduated with my BA in 1999. During high school and college, I worked at Coach House Gifts and Lane Bryant at Arrowhead Mall in Muskogee. I also worked as a tutor and as an assistant hall manager in the dorms. I was a first generation college student and held two to three jobs at a time while in college.
Education and/or Training: BA Communication Education, NSU; Master's of Education in School Administration, NSU; Master's in Communication Studies, University of Iowa; PhD in Communication Studies, University of Iowa
Greatest Professional Accomplishment: Finished my PhD before my 30th birthday (with 6 months to spare!)
Areas of Expertise: leadership, gender, communication
Hometown: Warner, OK
Other Towns of Residence: Iowa City, IA
Family: Married since 2006; 4 cats and 3 dogs; brother and dad in Warner; AWESOME nieces and nephews
Hobbies: Reading; Watching documentaries and reality television; Traveling
![]() |
| Two of my nieces (Jenna and Taylor) and a nephew (Justin). |
The Role of Mentors in Your Life: I was VERY fortunate in high school that some female teachers took an interest in me and encouraged my talent for public speaking. Then when I came to NSU, I found two professors who had characteristics I wanted to emulate. Ever since I became a professor, I try my best to be a good role model and to look for others who may need advice or a role model or may need an introduction within my network. I really like to help hard workers. It's my way of paying respect to the people who helped me.
![]() |
| Two of my college mentors: Dr. David Scott and Dr. Dana Eversole. |
Favorite Quotation: "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any."~Alice Walker



I love your concept of "helping hard workers!" I never thought of it that way... Now I like to hope that is why you have been such a mentor to me! Pay it forward, indeed!
ReplyDeleteYes, Lara, you are exactly the kind of person I like to help! I'm super proud of your accomplishments.
ReplyDelete